Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Feeling numbness and pain on lower abdomen. How to overcome this problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12730 Questions
I have been have a pain on my lower right side abdomen, and the pain goes up to the back on the same side and and also on my right leg. I feel a little numbness. I am 41 years, this started last weak on the first day of my period. At first I thought I was ovulating but This is does not sound normal to me. I am restricted to going some exercise due to this pain. please help me
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The symptoms that you are having are likely to be due to a spinal disc related problem.
You need to consult an orthopedician who after an examination will order tests like MRI of spine to find the extent of damage you have suffered.
The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Also, maintain a proper posture while working, sitting and standing. Keep your back straight. If you work for long hours on the computer, the following link will tell you the posture to maintain while working:
WWW.WWWW.WW Back strengthening exercises will also help.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling numbness and pain on lower abdomen. How to overcome this problem? 16 minutes later
Hi doctor thanks for coming back to me. But am sorry am not happy with you answer, as I have said the main pain I have if from my lower right side abdomen and it just goes to the right lower back not to the spine. I don't feel any pain on my spine area. I have also been feeling the pain in side my reproductive organs when sneezing. I have not injured my spine at all and my posture is good.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The pain in the leg along with the numbness is usually associated with a back problem.
If the pain is only in the abdomen then a pelvic infection is likely. The other cause may be a urinary infection or an intestinal colic. An ultrasound scan and MRI of lower abdomen will help in detecting the exact cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling numbness and pain on lower abdomen. How to overcome this problem? 8 minutes later
That sound much better. I will arrange to see my doctor sometime today. It is worrying.

Thank you for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
You are welcome.
Please keep me informed regarding the progress.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor