Feeling nauseous, dizziness, heart palpitation, breathing difficulty and stomach ache. What is the problem?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: My daughter is twenty and complains of stomach ache, nauseous, at the same time feeling like she wants to move her bowels, dizziness, hotness inside chest and head, heart palpitations, breathing difficulty and her urine is dark yellow. It mostly comes on at night time. Her doctor thinks she might have MVP. But I think it might also be digestive or an allergic reaction. She cut out the caffeine because this seemed to cause issues. Then I looked up dehydration and those symptoms seem to also match. She doesn't urinate that often I told her to start drinking more water. these episodes 99.9% of the time happen at night and she cannot take any type of stimulants like tylenol, benedryl, etc. When she lies down it is worst. please help! she says she feels like she is going to die...
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 5 hours later
Welcome to HCM!

You are correct!
MVP alone will not cause such symptoms!
She may be having
1- Acute gastritis

2- hepatitis

3- urinary infection

The yellow urine may be because of dehydration and hence concentrated urine.( which can be dark yellow in colour).
She should drink plenty of water and also milk and juices like apple( non citrous fruits are better).

Please take her to the doctor for examination and some basic investigations like urine tests blood tests etc.
Ultrasound of abdomen may also be needed.

There is no need to panic!
These are treatable conditions!
Why to feel depressed ?

God bless
All the best
Dr Uma