Feeling nauseous, anxiety and uneasiness on feet. What could be causing this?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: I am dizzy often and feel uneasy on my feet, I feel nauseous at times.everyone says its anxiety , but I feel like this just about everyday.
I am on seroquel 50 mg and lamictal 100 mg, I also take lorazepam from time to time for anxiety, but it's been 6 months and I feel no better. I was always fine and never had these problems, my brother died unexpectedly and it's been a year.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Dizziness can be related to a number of different factors such as (1) low blood count/anemia
(2) low blood pressure on standing (postural hypotension)
(3) vestibular neuritis which is inflammation of the vestibular nerve- a nerve in the inner ear that is responsible for balance. This may lasts a varied amount of time,though most persons have symptoms for a few weeks at most and yours have persisted for mths
(4) menieres- this is most commonly associated with nausea, tinnitus (abnormal sounds in the ear) and flutuating hearing loss
(5) BPPV- benign paroxysmal positional vertigo- in this condition the dizziness tends to last for a few seconds then resolve, occur in certain postitions. It is also related to disorders of the inner ear
(6) in some cases of palpitations (irregular rate or rhythm of the heart), persons can complain of dizziness when the palpitations occur.
(7) it can also result from some medications- all three of the medications that you mentioned can have dizziness as side effect

To determine the cause your doctor will take a comprehensive history to find out - the positions in which the dizziness occurs, the duration, any associated symptoms, dietary history (relevant in anemia), cardiac history.
Any investigations would be based on the relevant findings in the history and examination.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions