Feeling nauseous after root canal treatment. Should I consult a doctor?

Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Question: Hello. I had a root canel treatment done yesterday and a temporary filling fitted. Today I feel very nausoes. Is this normal and should I see a doctor? I. Am seeing the dentist on Monday to have the procedure completed. I also have 2 essays to complete in the next few days for uni. What can I do to feel better? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

I would like you to know that nausea is not due to the root canal treatment. It probably may be the side effects of antibiotics / painkiller which were taken during the dental treatment. I am not sure if you still on any such medications. Let me know if the follow-up.

Do not worry; this is unlikely to harm you.

If the nausea is severe, you could take a prescription containing antiemetic / proton pump inhibitors from your treating dentist.

In the interim you may take antacids before meals along with less spicy and low fat diet. Drink lots of fluids. You will be perfectly ok in day or two.

I hope this answer was useful. If you have any further questions kindly post them here,

I wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad