Feeling nausea, weak, cold and sweaty. What could be causing this?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: I have been nauseas since Thursday evening , but not actually sick enough to get sick , it's just I only feel better when I'm lying down , but I've been in bed since Friday and my body aches from having to lay down so much , I felt like this once before about a month ago and I called an Internet doc that I was paying for and he called in some compazine 10mg but they haven't really helped this time and also they make me sleepy , I try to get up and walk around for a few min but I get kinda sweaty and feel weak and hot then cold and back and forth with all the above and so I hate to even get up , can you give me any idea on what may be causing this or what I can do to get back to normal
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later

I sincerely apologize for answering your query a bit late.

Compazine contains Prochlorperazine which is an antiemetic and control nausea; but also does have side-effects like mild sedation, sweating, etc., in some.

As you mention you have been lying down for long, the nausea might be due to acid reflux. I feel an antacid would serve you better than Prochlorperazine. Therefore take Tab Prilosec OTC once in a day before breakfast early in the morning instead of Compazine. This will reduce the basal acid output in the stomach and alleviate reflux and nausea.

Have you checked your body temperature? If the temperature is elevated than the normal, then probably you may be suffering with a mild infection - viral. Tiredness, body aches, weakness and nausea have been the common concomitant symptoms of a viral infection.

We also do get similar complaints with people suffering with vestibular illness. Most often such vestibular illness occurs due to infective or unknown causes and settles in the course of time (a week or two).

I recommend you to have a avoid lying down much and have a brisk walk around for a small time, then gradually step up. You may have to consume energy drinks like juices, glucose, etc., before you start for a walk. This may be uncomfortable in the beginning; but will surely help you as you get habituated.

Monitor the progress of the symptoms and report to either your primary healthcare provider or to me on this forum. We can discuss about this concern further.

Hope I answered your query. Do let me know if there are any other concerns.

PS: For other services of this website, you may mail to YYYY@YYYY

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad