Feeling nausea, lightheaded and have twitching knee. Could it be pinched nerve?

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello im just worried a bit i was sitting on the couch and i got up and both of my knees started twitching and couldnt hold my weight had to lean on things to help take weight off but i also have felt nauseas for 4 days and little light headed the nurse at the hospital said its a pinched nerve but im not sure any other suggestions
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 13 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     27 year old female
•     Negative home pregnancy test
•     Complaints of: nausea, twitching in knees, light headed, change of shape of stomach, pressure/pains in vaginal area and irregular period.

In your pregnancy is least likely due to following reasons:
-Negative home pregnancy test
-Presence of irregular period

So your gynecological examination will help to rule out pregnancy. Investigation like ultrasound will also help to rule out pregnancy.

For your other symptoms, I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy:
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available. It can lead to knee twitching.
•     Side effect of substance use: stop if present. It can lead to knee twitching and irregular period.
•     Thyroid related problem: get thyroid hormonal assay done.
•     Infection of genital tract: It can lead to irregular period and pressure/pain in vaginal area.
•     Pregnancy: Although chances are least.

As there are multiple possibilities, so it is better to rule out all conditions after examination and investigation.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wishing her good health.