Feeling nausea and shaky. Test showed TSH level 10.8. What are the risks?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Don't know if. You see my last query I recently had some lab work and ultrasound of thyroid. Radiologist suggest FNB had nodule that grew and had micro calcification with non defined borders. Dr says wait and see if synthroid will help. Question is my TSH was 10.8. Is that just slightly elevated and does it fluctuate during the day. The test was done fasting but next one In two months I don't have to fast. If I start synthroid do I have to stay on it or once my levels comes back down can I go off it. Would you recommend waiting to do the biopsy. I feel like I have sugar regulation issues more than hypothyroid I get the sweats, shakes and nusea especially if I eat alittle to much or more carb than protein My Dr. forgot to ask for the glucose panel I my physical so I'm just guessing. What do you think. I have aready paid for the month YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 hours later
Your TSH levels are very high.Normal levels are between 2.6-4.5.You should start synthyroid as soon as possible.Most of the times once the thyroid levels are controlled with a minimum dosage,it has to be continued. You should repeat TSH after 2 months.
Also if a nodule has been detected,then a biopsy should be done ESP since you have history of cancer. About the sugar panel,hypothyroidsm also has similar symptoms but you need to rule out diabetes first as its more lethal. I suggest that get a fasting sugar done along with a post -prandial. Diet control is very important so see a dietician and chalk out a diet chart. Do ask your doctor to prescribe a sugar panel.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 hours later
Would you wait the two to three months to have biopsy .. That's my next appointment with dr. I think I have acid reflux in the back of my throat. Before my thoracic surgery I acid that was dissolving a valve between stomach and esophagus .... Vomited all the time now the acid feels like its just in my upper throat and I think is sometimes influencing my swallowing. Is that a result of the thyroid. Also notice it more in the am if I don't eat right away
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
I think thats you have the biospy as soon as you can.The repeat levels of tsh can be done later after 2 months.The acid reflux isnt connected to the thyroid problem,but since you had acid regurgitation before and Barrets oesiphagus,this could be a recurring problem.Recurred gastritis may lead to ulcers etc so start taking antacids before meals. You can take syrup sucralfate 2 tsp before meals. Avoid spicy food,oily food. Eat small frequent meals several times a day. Dont remain on an empty stomach for too long.