Feeling nausea. Test showed high ALT and AST level. What does this indicate?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My liver enzymes have been rising slowly they are now
At 144/156 which this is my ast/alt levels, the rest of my cmp and CBC was normal. The doctor ordered an MRCP And it appeared normal except for cyst to my kidneys. I have had nausea on & off for past week. Now doctor wants to do an egd to check stomach. What do you think could be happening. No meds just stopped birth control was on them for 6 yrs. don't drink or drugs. I'm a nurse.
What could be going on? Why an egd? Could it be gastric cancer? Worried need advice
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 17 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

The high ASt/ALT is indicative of hepatitis.
I would like to know about the following before I can give my opinion.

1. Are your tested for Hepatitis B and C infection?

2. Are you obese?

3. Are you a diabetic?

4. Any other medical illness - eg. autoimmune diseases?

EGD is not required.

Kindly get back to me with the answers and I would give my opinion.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 hours later
Hepatitis panel negative, I'm 5'2" 178lb high cholesterol, no diabetes.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 9 hours later
Your BMI is 32.6.
You have high cholesterol also.
These two can cause fatty liver which in turn can raise the liver enzymes.
Also birth control pills can alter the liver function causing raised liver enzymes. It returns to baseline in a few days to weeks after stopping pill.

Weight reduction, control of blood cholesterol and a repeat LFT after 4 weeks should be done.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini