Feeling muscle spasm below heart. Taking treatment for broken bones on feet. Looking for cure

Dr. Ketan Vagholkar

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Iget a sort of start in my rib cage just below my heart,just a momentary happening it is not a pain but makes me sort of start when it happens..IT IS HARD TO SAY WHAT THIS IS LIKE WHEN IT HAPPENS AS SAID ITS LIKE A MUSCLE SPASM....Have been in hospital recently after breaqking bones on feet and had many tests for bloods etc nothing untoward was found althopugh I know they may not have tested for anything specific to this problem
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Since it is very non specific pain and if you seem to relate with muscle spasm it appears to be non worrisome.

As part of triage and In view of the location of symptoms and your age physicians always advise to undergo evaluation for cardiac function at each such episode that lasts more than 15 minutes. This would include a ECG and a 2D echocardiography.

If these investigations rule out cardiac problems then it can be considered it to be muscular in origin. Local muscle relaxant sprays give instant relief. Did you try them?

I hope this answers your problem.
With regards