Feeling lightheaded and disorientated. Tension in neck and shoulders. Safe remedy?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: HI,
I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING WITH A LIGHTHEADED, FAINT FEELING FOR 5 MONTHS EVERY DAY. THESE HAVE CREATED ANXIETY AND FEAR. EXTENSIVE BLOODS HAVE NOT SHOWN ANYTHING AND AN MRI SHOWED SOME LESIONS PROBABLY DUE TO MY HYPERTENSION. NEUROLOGIST DID NOT THINK THESE ARE CAUSING MY SYMPTOMS. GET RUSHING SENSATIONS UP BACK OF HEAD IN OCCIPITAL AREA AND THESE MAKE ME EXTREMELY LIGHTHEADED AND DISORIENTATED. THEY ARE FRIGHTENING AND LEAVE ME WITH A HEADACHE. I HAVE A LOT OF TENSION IN MY NECK AND SHOULDERS AND MY EARS GO PRESSURED JUST BEFORE THE SURGE. WHAT CAN THIS BE?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that you are not suffering from any serious neurological disease, as your MRI of brain has not revealed any significant finding.

As for your symptoms, the most likely cause is migraine. In this condition, headaches, lightheadedness, dizziness, etc may occur. A feeling of nausea or vomiting may also occur.

Since you have these symptoms on a daily basis, you require preventive medications, such as beta blockers, Topiramate, divalproex, etc.

In addition, you need to reduce your anxiety and fear as they can aggravate your current symptoms. For this, you may take benzodiazepines such as clonazepam.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 minutes later
anxiety definately aggravates my symptoms and makes the dizziness and headaches worse. the worrying part for me is the surge/rushing sensation up the occipital area that i get. have you heard of this before?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

The rushing sensation at the back can be attributed to the increased blood flow to the brain, which commonly happens in migraine attacks.

Many of my patients describe this symptom.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 40 minutes later
is there another way to ease this without medication, i.e. heat or cold pack?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Cold pack may be useful, if applied during the episodes.

In addition, ensuring adequate sleep at nights and eating food on time, may reduce the frequency and severity of symptoms.

Dr Sudhir Kumar. MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 19 minutes later
Thankyou.
Do not sleep well due to anxiety and worrying about symptoms. Recently having some chest pains which think is acid stomach? In centre of chest and through to back. ECG normal.
Diffcult to know what to do for best as heat helps muscles but I suppose cold better for migrane/headaches?

Thanks for speedy reply.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

As you suspect, chest pain going to back is most likely due to acidity. Eating food on time and avoiding spicy food may reduce this symptom. Reducing stress would also be useful.

For stiff and painful neck, you may apply heat pack in addition.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later
would heat on neck make migrane worse if expands blood vessels?
just wish i could feel better soon. been suffering for 5 months!
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later
Heat pack on the neck may not make the migraine worse, if the heat is mild. However, if the heat is of severe degree as by bright sunlight, then it generally makes the migraine headaches worse.

In your case, you can give it a try and see the effect.

My best wishes are always with you.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 57 minutes later
chest pain making me anxious and slight numbness in left leg.
could that be anxiety?
gets me so worried
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Since your ECG is normal, you need not worry about the chest pain, it could be related to acidity or anxiety.

Similarly, numbness of leg could be due to pressure over the nerve due to posture or occasionally due to vitamin deficiency. You may take vitamin B 12 supplements.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 hours later
pain in chest is so sharp and is centre and across right side top of chest.
also into back.
vitamin b12 checked and ok.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Chest pain is likely to be due to acidity. If it is severe, rabeprozole tablets may be useful.

Normal vitamin B12 is a good news!

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 minutes later
Been put on omeprazole 20mg twice a day. Been 10 days and still not settled?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Instead of omeprazole, you may try rabeprozole. It is more effective.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 43 minutes later
CAN EXTREME LIGHTHEADED FEELING LIKE FAINTING BE ONSET OF MIGRANE?
ALWAYS UP BACK OF HEAD AND FEEL VERY WEAK
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Generally, fainting and lightheadedness do not occur at onset of migraine attacks.
However, if someone has severe headaches as part of migraine, then these symptoms associated with dizziness may occur.
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
if not migrane, what is it?
wake up every morning dizzy and heavy head.
If your sleep is good, then most likely it is due to migraine. Moreover, your MRI and blood work are normal, which excludes other causes.
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
sleep not good either
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later
Improving the quality and quantity of sleep would be useful in reducing your symptoms (both dizziness and acidity).

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 51 minutes later
i appreciate that and wish the anxiety would let me sleep better. the dizziness woke me up several times last night
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later
Reducing anxiety would help you sleep better. Try to think positively and have realistic expectations. Practicing yoga and meditation would also be useful.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 33 minutes later
i need to break the cycle of anxiety and am not keen togo on medication.
i wish i was not so anxious to see if physical symptoms would subside but the physical feelings of dizziness and fear make me anxious.
vicious cycle!
I agree with you that anxiety can worsen your physical symptoms. If you reduce anxiety, physical symptoms would definitely reduce.

I hope you are able to break this vicious cycle.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
i get so tense in the back of my head and neck. this seems to cause the faint feeling.
what is this?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Sometimes, anxiety and stress can make the muscles at the back of head and neck get tense and they can get stiff. That causes pain and faint feeling.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
i seem to try everything and nothing eases them?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Please trust in your ability to get better and I am sure you would improve soon.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
been given lansaprozole now
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 0 minute later
Lansaprozole is a very effective medicine for acidity.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
can i take indigestion remedy at same time
Yes, you can take indigestion remedy at the same time.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 30 minutes later
can you experience pain in jaw and headache from acid stomach?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 21 minutes later
Headache occurs in many people with acidity. Jaw pain is unlikely to occur with acidity.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
what type of headache causes a tight clamped feeling at back of head. almost feel like been kicked in back of head.
what would pain in jaw be then?
Clamped feeling at the back of head and resulting headahe is often due to muscle tension headache.
Jaw pain is also often muscular pain. Sometimes it may be due to TM (temporo mandibular) joint dysfunction.
Dr Sudhir Kumar