Feeling light headed and have thick tongue. Medical test normal. What to do?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have light headiness and my tongue gets thick and I cannot talk plain. I have been to a neuro and also my family doctor. I have had an MRI, CT and echo gram. Nothing has shown up. It is worse when I am tired.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 9 hours later

I would like to understand few more details before I can give you a direction.

Were you tested with EEG about the possibility of seizure
Were you tested for Carotid Doppler to measure the thickness of the intima?
Was the blood pressure measured in standing, sitting and lying down positions?
Was a referral to ENT surgeon done?
What are the medications that you use?

I feel all of the above are extremely important to pin point the reason for light headiness and slurred speech. It is not going to be easy for treating doctors to pinpoint a diagnosis when the major investigations being normal.

You had not mentioned your latest cholesterol tests and results. Can you hint me what was your Neuro and family doctors ideas?

Waiting for your reply.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli