Owl Image

Feeling itchy and tightness around neck. What should I do to get relief?

Question
I have had a very itchy neck and tight feeling around my neck, but with no rash. Just a small 50 cent piece size redish area located where a mans XXXXXXX XXXXXXX would be within for 2 weeks now. Also, the age lines in my neck appear pinkish in color. I am a 66 year old woman, with no known illnesses. I recently went to my physician and had a cbc, but no results as of yet. He did not seem to take the itchy neck issue very serious, but I have been feeling very tired. I appreciate your input, Thank You
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The itchy feeling in the neck with no visible rash is mostly due to allergies or contact irritation or focal self limiting infections. Many times it lasts a while and gets better on its own. Therefore the treatment offered is symptomatic for symptoms like itchy and/or dry skin for a few days to see whether the condition gets milder and goes away.

Non-prescription (over-the-counter) remedies include
•Anti-itch creams containing camphor, menthol, pramoxine (Itch-X, Sarna Sensitive), or diphenhydramine (Benadryl).
•Antihistamines like diphenhydramine (Benadryl), chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton), or loratadine (Claritin, Claritin RediTabs, Alavert); and cetirizine (Zyrtec).
•Moisturizing lotions.
You can also apply 1% hydrocortisone ointment for symptomatic relief.
Try to keep the area dry and wash it at least thrice daily with an antiseptic gel.
Discuss with your pharmacist and see if you can get one from each group. The itch cream may be applied to the affected region thrice or 4 times a day, while oral antihistamines may be taken once a day at night.

If after this symptoms fail to resolve, then you will have to consider a visit to dermatologist.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Feeling itchy and tightness around neck. What should I do to get relief? 2 hours later
Thank You. I have been a bit worried about the possibility of a thyroid condition. My Father and two of my cousins have graves disease. My Mother had hypo-thyroid and was taking synthroid. I have had tingling in my arms and legs, and sometimes it feels as though my entire body is vibrating. My skin is extremely dry, and I void often. I addressed all thes issues with my Physician, but I'm not sure he was taking me serious, because he does not know me well. I rarely complain, or go to the Doctor unless I have a bad cold or something that requires attention &/or medication. The combination of all these symptoms seems and feels strange to me, and I am worried it may be connected to something more complicated than an allergy. We moved to SC 5 years ago, and the population here is very overwhelming, so I do not have nor have I been able to find a regular Family Physician that I have confidence in.

Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The symptoms you have described are likely to be due to hypothyroidism. Getting the serum levels evaluated will be helpful.
You can also start taking vitamin B 12 supplements to help with the tingling and numbness.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.