question-icon

Feeling hoarse after getting steroid injection for bursitis. Is it a side effect?

Posted on Sun, 24 Jun 2012
Question: i had a steroid injection today for bursitis in my right hip and am now hoarse. Is this a side effect of the steroid and how long should i expect the side effect to last?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha (23 minutes later)
Hello.

No, this is not the side effect of the steroid injection you took, it looks like you have developed pharyngitis unrelated to the injection.

I advice you to do the following.

1. Add a spoon of salt into 250 ml of warm water and gargle three times a day. Please try not to swallow it. You also a get a betadine gargle which is more effective but tastes bad.

2. Watch out for fever.

3. Since you are already receiving steroidal injections, there is no need to take any Hoarseness of voice usually takes about a week to recover. If it worsens or if you develop fever, then please see your physician for a local examination and treatment.

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Jyoti Patil
Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist