Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Feeling headache. What should I do to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10304 Questions

i am feeling headache
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different causes for headaches. Headaches can be called tension headaches, migraines, sinus headaches, cluster headaches and headaches due to masses in the brain ( least common).

Migraines present with severe pain in the head, usually on one side, throbbing or beating pain, worse with light or noise, associated with nausea, worse when trying to do normal activity. To be said to have a migraine, the headache has to last at least 4 hours, they can last up to 72hrs. They are treated with pain medication starting with paracetamol and moving up to medication such as ibuprofen or cataflam. They are also medication specifically for migraines called the triptans , these are given by a doctor and work best.

Tension headaches are usually felt as a tight or heavy pain, may be at the front of the head, may be associated with neck or shoulder pain or stiffness. The pain is not affected by light or noise. They are treated with pain killers such as cataflam, ibuprofen, voltaren as well as treating whatever stress caused it.

Sinus headaches occur in persons with a history of sinus problems. They are treated with decongestants, antihistamines, antibiotics as well as pain killers.

Cluster headaches are usually felt as pain on one side, severe, last about 15 mins to 3 hours. They are associated with other problems such as drooping of the eyelids, red eyes, watery eyes or runny nose.they are treated with some of the migraine specific medication mentioned before, the triptans. Some person need oxygen therapy.

You can consider using pain killers such as ibuprofen, cataflam , celebrex or voltaren which are in the same family.
If the headache is severe you may need opiates such as tramadol which would need a prescription.
In severe headache it may be best to see your doctor to find out the type of headache.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor