Owl Image

Feeling dizzy while standing with stiff neck. Am i ruptured my dick in back?

Question
I'm really dizzy standing and discombobulated, but sitting i seem to be okay. I thought it was a ruptured disc in my back, but that wasn't it. My neck gets really stiff, but doesn't hurt. I just feel so weird.
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 2 hours later
Hello. I'm Dr. XXXXXXX.
I'm sorry you don't feel well. Your symptoms are worrisome in a couple of respects:
Dizziness and disorientation upon standing could be a sign of severe anemia or some other condition that interferes with blood delivery to your brain when you're in an upright position (e.g., heart disease, dehydration or autonomic nervous system dysfunction). Although there's nothing in your medical history to suggest any of these disorders, such problems can only be ruled out with a face-to-face evaluation.
The other issue that's concerning here is your history of receiving an epidural steroid injection. As you know, there has been a spate of fungal meningitis cases associated with these injections over the past several months in the U.S. Many affected patients don't develop the classic fever, stiff neck and headache we usually associate with meningitis. Symptoms can be subtle (confusion, difficulty walking or talking, etc.) and may not appear for weeks -- or even months -- following the injection. Patients who have received injections from contaminated bottles of methylprednisolone should have been notified of potential exposure, but notification systems aren't 100% effective.
I suggest you see your doctor as soon as possible to identify the cause of your symptoms. I'll be available if you have further concerns, but this situation warrants immediate attention.
Good luck!