Feeling dizzy, tightness around temples, nauseous, lack of energy and shaky. How to get relief?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in General Health
Question: I feel dizzy, tightness around temples, feeling slightly nauseous, lack of energy and feeling shaky. I have had a diagnosis of BPPV in the past but these symptoms are new. It is the feeling of tightness around my temples and back of the head coupled with the shakiness which are particularly of concern.
I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago but this is managed with diet and exercise only - my last blood test - 45 and my blood pressure was 120/80
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 4 hours later
Firstly, the symptoms like tightness around temples and back of head may occur due to followings -
1. Hypoglycemia - it is most common cause in a diabetic patient. Your previous blood sugar level also indicates possibility of this.
2. Migraine - it is also a possibility. In some condition, some neurological problem like shakiness, also seen.
3. Transient ischemic attack - in this condition, mild ischemia occurs for few hours.
4. Transient raise in blood pressure.

To differentiate these four, you have to be physically examined.

So, what you will do ?
First, take some food (mainly carbohydrate). If you feel better then it is due to hypoglycemia.
If possible, measure the blood pressure to exclude high blood pressure.

If blood pressure is normal and taking food does not give any relief to you, then you have to consult with a neurologist for further physical examination, investigation and management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Regards.