Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Feeling dizzy, loss of balance, headaches. Not able to say right words. Have swelling behind ear. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 681 Questions
Hi I have been feeling dizzy for 4 months.loss of balance.headches.feeling very odd in my head.Not being able to get the rights words out of my mouth.Have swelling behind my left ear.
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 9 hours later
Hello Ms.XXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your description and past history of several ear surgeries and ear related problems, I suspect you might be facing a serious issue here and I would urge you consult your neurologist and ENT at the earliest.

The symptoms of dizziness, loss of balance, recurrent headaches and feeling odd in the head are likely due to the complications of your chronic ear problems, the worry is, has the inner ear infection and mastoid infection spread to any of the venous sinuses (big veins in the skull).

Another worrying feature of your symptoms that needs detailed evaluation is your rather recent inability to get out the right words.

Even if the problem is still limited to your inner ear, these symptoms do need to be addressed at the earliest, as I feel these are warning signs for a worsening condition.

If you don’t mind I would request you to shed some more light on your symptoms by describing in details what types of surgeries you have undergone, and what was the reason for these surgeries. It would help me to answer you better if you can elaborate on these issues.
1.     Is there any pain inside your ears or behind them?
2.     Do you notice any pus like discharge from the ears?
3.     Is the swelling behind your hurting?
4.     When did you notice this current swelling?
5.     Have the symptoms you mentioned worsened acutely?
6.     Are you running any fever?
7.     Do you have any visual disturbances?
8.     Are you a diabetic or hypertensive?
Please do write back to me with these details, so that I can guide you better.

Meanwhile I would suggest you to not to let any amount of water get inside of your ears, and continue to take the medicines you are taking and most importantly do visit your neurologist as soon as possible, or if you have to go through your GP, you can discuss the points I mentioned with your GP and request an appointment with a neurologist at the earliest.

I sincerely hope this will help you, Please do write back to me with details.

Wishing you all the very best and speedy recovery.

Warm regards,
Dr. Yogesh. D
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling dizzy, loss of balance, headaches. Not able to say right words. Have swelling behind ear. Suggest? 4 hours later
Hi thankyou for comments.i had ear trouble since I was 12 yrs old.Had several mastoid ops.i do have visual time I was sat watching tv.and suddenly for 30 mins in both eyes I had very weird visual disturbance.but after a time they came back to the back of the dosent feel like any lump.but on the bone it feels hard and larger than normal.Allso it feels like some think in my ear is not in place has been hot to discharge.i feel dizzy have a ringing in my ear.but when not ringing I have a head at times feels odd.its only my left ear.some times the pain gos from the top to the bottom of the pain in ear.i went to ent but I'm very scared its serious i have a scan tomorrow.they said ear inside looks fine.yes I have been unwell with it for 4 months.cant walk some times look like I'm drunk but I'm not.walking into things
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 22 minutes later

Thank you very much clarifying and writing back with additional details.

I understand your concern.

After going through your detailed description, I strongly feel the primary problem would be with your inner ear, all the symptoms that you have can be produced in the inner ear afflictions.

You mentioned that you have a scan scheduled for tomorrow, I strongly suggest you to go ahead with that and get it treated by a neurologist.

The further course of action will be based on the scan findings. You can get back to me after you get the scan report, for now you need to continue with the prescribed treatment.

I know it is very worrying and since these symptoms you are experiencing might be due to the complications of mastoid infection, the infection does spread into the head at times.

But the good news is that, you seem to be already under the care of a neurologist, so don't worry too much, I am confident that your doctors will take good care of y
Let your doctors proceed with their treatment plan.

You have done the right thing by going to the right doctor

Hope this helps you. Please feel free to write back if you need any further help.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Warm regards.
Dr. Yogesh. D

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling dizzy, loss of balance, headaches. Not able to say right words. Have swelling behind ear. Suggest? 4 minutes later
If it has spread into brain what will happen head is buzzing now .i feel so lethargic at times.thankyou so much for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 12 minutes later
Hello again XXXXX

Relax, it can be treated even if spreads into the venous sinuses.

But I don't think that is case though, because if it had spread into the brain, then you would not be in a condition to write to me.

Let the scan report come, we can discuss after that.

To answer your question, if the problem is inner infection and if it spreads to the brain, generally you would have seizures, and lose consciousness and you will also have fever.

Since you don't have these symptoms, you might take it easy for now.

Please stop worrying too much.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Yogesh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor