Feeling dizzy, fatigue, nausea, stomach pain and brown stool. Cause and cure?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello,
I have been having the following symptoms for several months:
1. Dark orange/brown stools.
2. Nausea immediately after eating, regardless of what I eat.
3. Indigestion.
4. Gurgling in stomach immediately after eating.
5. Occasional stomach pain (location varies).
6. Occasional dizziness.
7. Dark (smelly) morning urine on occassion.
8. Extreme fatigue.
Do you any suggestions as to what may be causing my symptoms? I am concerned (from what I've read) that it could either be an issue with my liver, stomach, or ovaries (cancer).
Thank you for your time, XXXXXXX (age 48)
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The symptoms you are having are most likely related to indigestion and irritable bowel. These are not suggestive of any serious disorder like cancer or a liver problem.
This in mild cases can be managed with dietary and lifestyle changes. Take the following steps to help manage your symptoms:
1. Increase the amount of fluid you drink, especially water. Avoid carbonated drinks and alcoholic beverages.
2. Avoid foods that cause gas, such as beans, broccoli, cabbage, and XXXXXXX The amount of gas that different foods cause varies from person to person.
3. Avoid swallowing air. Swallowing air may increase your symptoms.
4. Eat slowly. Avoid gulping food or beverages. When you rush through meals or eat on the run, you are more likely to swallow air.
5. Chew your food thoroughly before you swallow.
6. Avoid drinking through a straw.
7. Avoid chewing gum or eating hard candy.
8. Do not smoke or use other tobacco products.
Use of OTC medications mentioned below can be used to have some relief.
1. Activated charcoal (Charcocaps) , will absorb the excess gas produced.
2. Antacids, such as Di-Gel, Maalox Anti-Gas, and Mylanta Gas, will help reduce the pain abdomen and dizziness.
3. Food enzymes, such as Beano, which help break down the sugars found in vegetables and grains, can be added to foods that cause you to have gas.
You can also start taking a multivitamin supplement to decrease the feeling of fatigue.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.