Feeling dizzy and lightheaded due to low BP. What diet should be taken?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: I had a dizziness and lightheadedness issue. I am doing 5 days a week exercises as well. When i get the issue i dont have control of myself and feeling of falling. Is it because of sudden drop in my BP level? What kind of diet i need to use to control this.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
 Dizziness or lightheadedness is basically a symptom and not a disease and this is  often confused with vertigo. Vertigo is the sensation of spinning, while lightheadedness is typically considered near fainting, and weakness.
The treatment of lightheadedness depends upon correct diagnosis of the cause.
Conditions that may cause dizziness in a patient include
 Low blood pressure which in itself can be caused by anemia or dehydration due to hot and humid conditions or severe workouts resulting in electrolyte loss.
High blood pressure,
 medications like diuretics,ace inhibitors or beta blockers or if a person uses medicines like Viagra etc.
  postural or orthostatic hypotension
Diabetes,hyperthyroidism,hypothyroidism,Addison's disease etc 
Certain heart conditions 

I would advise you to consult your physician and get tested for above mentioned possibilities.Once the cause is found,a proper treatment can be instituted.
However till you get investigated,you take care of your electrolyte intake and hydrate yourself.
Take a B complex vitamin daily.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks.

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for your prompt reply. Currently i am staying in London, UK. I am not sure whether I could able to do all the body checkups here. But i have done the complete body checkup when i came to India last time 2months back. If you need to check those, i can send those through mail.
Thanks for the reasons that you have mentioned. Low blood pressure which in itself can be caused by anemia or dehydration due to hot and humid conditions are ruled out because the country is cold country. I am suspecting that these could be severe workouts resulting in electrolyte loss. Can i take the Vitamin B tablet, doesnt that have any side effects? Can you please share your email id so that i can share my complete body checkup details.

Thanks & Regards,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello
Take care of your hydration.
There is no side effect of B complex vitamins as they are water soluble vitamins and as such don't get accumulated in your body even if taken in quantities beyond your requirement.
Please do send your reports at this site only.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 days later
I have uploaded my reports.The reports are not so clear, sorry for this. Could you please help me understanding the reports and any alertness on my health conditions.

Thanks & Regards,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 9 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
There are no reports attached with your query.
Kindly upload them properly by going on right side of your section.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 26 hours later
I have uploaded reports again. Can you please help me understanding the reports and any alertness on my health conditions.
Thanks & Regards,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 19 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
I have seen your reports and find that except your blood triglycerides level,which are slightly high,all other reports are normal.
High carbohydrate intake and alcohol intake result in high triglycerides level,so you must restrict intake of these substances.
Restrict the consumption of sweets and do regular exercises to reduce your triglycerides level.
Triglycerides are a type of fat and high levels can raise your risk of heart diseases.
Most welcome to write back if you have any additional concern.
Thanks