Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Feeling dizzy and hearing a loud squilling sound. Suggest the tests to be taken

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2572 Questions
I've been dizzy for a month now, at first I felt like I was on the sea but now it seems like the room is spending my ears stop up and when they unstop I hear a loud squilling sound. I've been checked for ear infection and fluid in my middle ear. I've had a cat-scan and an ultrasound on my neck all test came back negative . I've been to an ENT and nothing was done. do I need to have an MRI? Will these test be enough ? what do you think I should do have you ever heard of such a thing
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Review with an ENT surgeon... Detailed Answer: Hi, From what I understand you have symptoms of dizziness that evolved to vertigo over a period of month associated with ear block (stop up and unstopping) and tinnitus (loud squilling sound). I am not sure if you also have associated hearing loss, ear pain/discharge and upper respiratory complaints (nasal congestion, sore throat, etc). I would like to know additional details, because your symptoms are very consistent with an ear pathology - either the balancing system issue or Eustachian tube dysfunction. I understand you been checked for ear infection and for fluid in the middle ear; but I would insist for a second ENT opinion. A detailed ear examination, physical tests for vertigo such as dix hallpike test, audiometry, electronystagmogram (ENG) and other battery of test will be crucial. MRI is a better diagnostic tool than CAT scan; but I wouldn't order this test as the first choice test. If ENT evaluation is clear, my next close possibility would be metabolic dysfunctions. I would check you blood sugars, electrolytes, liver / renal and thyroid functions to know if something is wrong. If no conclusive evidence is found on routine tests, then my last (rare) possibility would be related to perimenopause / menopause. Low estrogen level can mimic vertigo and ear symptoms; adding a low dose estrogen can solve the problem. In brief, your symptoms are strongly pointing towards an ear pathology. I would definitely suggest you consider a second ENT opinion. More diagnostic tests are in order. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling dizzy and hearing a loud squilling sound. Suggest the tests to be taken 37 hours later
thanks doctor your information is very informative. I had a hysterectomy in 1997 I don't take any hormones replacements. I don't have any pain or discharge from my ears. I do have high blood pressure but im on medication for it. I feel fine until have these episodes the spinning last for about a minute or so and the loud squliing after I turn the tv up loud to block it out and eventually it goes away but it also make me sick in the stomach. I made an appointment with a neurologist that specialize with vertigo should I keep this appointment or change and go to another ent. I can have a blood test done but what type of test would I say I need. is there any cure for vertigo and tinnitus and what causes it. again thanks doctor look forward to hearing from you
Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Neurotologist would have been the ideal choice... Detailed Answer: Hi, Neurotology is a field of science which specializes with vertigo and neurological disorder of ear. Neurologist who specializes with vertigo will also do... You may go ahead with the appointment; discuss about possibilities of eustachian tube dysfunction and vestibular disorders. The doctor might order for those hearing tests and vertigo test which will bring him to the diagnosis. The doctor might also be looking for systemic disorders in the form of electrolyte and metabolic changes that may be making you dizzy. If I were to be your treating doctor, I would check for serum electrolytes, liver and renal panel tests. MRI scan would be the next choice. These tests needs to be streamlined based on a thorough clinical examination. I hope your neurotologist would do the needful. Let me know the results and we shall discuss further. Good luck!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling dizzy and hearing a loud squilling sound. Suggest the tests to be taken 25 hours later
I had blood work done a week after this started which was 9-9-13 everything was ok except my NE% 34.0, LY% 53.7,AST(SGOT) 56, ALT(SGPT) 43. do you think I need to have it done again before I go to my next appointment. again thanks doctor
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Reports are OK.. Detailed Answer: Hi, Though the reports are slightly abnormal, I don't see any need to repeat the test now. The abnormal differential counts are known to improve within a few weeks. I hope you are not suffering from fever. Liver enzymes on the other had may take some more time to recover, say in the next 2-4 months. Perhaps all your symptoms are effects of recent viral illness involving the ears. So do not be very concerned. Consult the doctor as planned, you should be able to find the solution very soon. Thanks once again for discussing with me. Let me know if you have any other doubts before closing this discussion. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor