Feeling dizzy and drank white wine. Got sick. What can be the reason?

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Posted on Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Recently went with my husband and had one glass of white wine. I felt very dizzy and totally drunk that I made my husband leave early. I could hardly walk and when we were home the room was spinning. Finally I got sick. All this from one glass of wine. I have never been a fan of alcohol but this has never happened. It was very scary. Do you have any possible reasons why?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have Wine Allergy : Avoid white wine in future

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mrs. XXXXXXX

The symptoms following ingestion of white wine was an allergic reaction to the wine constituents. in other words, you have a certain type of Alcohol allergy, which is also associated, in some people, with other food allergies, such as, to barley, hops, yeast, rye, wheat. White wine, in addition, contains a chemical called sulphite.

The other cause of alcohol intolerance is a genetic condition in which there is deficiency of an enzyme, called aldehyde dehydrogenase, which is responsible for detoxification of alcohol.

Hence, the only cure is to avoid white wine or, better still, all types of alcohol which might have given you an unpleasant experience in the past. In the event of a similar reaction in future, you may take anti-histaminic tablet (such as cetirizine 10mg).

By the way, do you get abdominal problems and diarrhea with wheat products, such as bread?

Hope I have answered your query. If you need further clarifications, I will be happy to answer.

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E