Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Feeling disconnected from myself. How to avoid this feeling?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5973 Questions
Hi my name is XXXXXXX and for the past 2 years i'm disconnect from myself. Can you please give me advice how to get myself back again, Regards
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Thank you for writing in.
What you are suffering from sounds like Depersonalization disorder.
Depersonalization disorder (DPD) is a mental disorder in which the sufferer is affected by persistent or recurrent feelings of depersonalization and/or derealization.
Common descriptions of symptoms are: feeling disconnected from one's physicality; feeling as though one is not completely occupying the body; not feeling in control of one's speech or physical movements; feeling detached from one's own thoughts or emotions; a sense of automation, going through the motions of life but not experiencing it or participating in it; loss of conviction with one's identity; feeling a disconnection from one's body; inability to accept one's reflection as one's own; difficulty relating oneself to reality and the environment; feeling as though one is in a dream; and out-of-body experiences.
While many people experience brief moments of depersonalization, in others it may last much longer and can become a persistent problem.
Depersonalization disorder is thought to be largely caused by severe traumatic lifetime events including childhood abuse, accidents, war, torture, panic attacks and bad drug experiences. It is unclear whether genetics play a role; however, there are many neurochemical and hormonal changes in individuals suffering with depersonalization disorder.

Please consult a Psychiatrist at the earliest, as the disorder is amenable to medical treatment and counselling.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling disconnected from myself. How to avoid this feeling? 35 hours later
Dear doctor, I could have told you also the same things what's wrong with me. For the past 2 years i'm seeing my doctor, who refer me to a Psychiatrist, who put me on Zoloft, and a Psychologist whom i have councelling sessions with. After 1 year, my Psychiatrist told me she can prescribe medication to me, but otherwise she can't understand why i stay disconnected 24/7 for the past 2 years and still continue. That's what i like to know,how to get back to normal, seems like nobody knows, regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
I am sorry you feel the way you do.
I hope you understand that my job is to go through what you told me, and to form a diagnosis , or a list of them, and suggest you the further action.
For Depersonalization Disorder, you need to consult a Psychiatrist, have counselling and medication as prescribed.
Without meeting you and talking to you and examining you, I cannot " cure " you.
Hope you understand that.If one doctor is not able to treat you, there is no problem in getting a second opinion.
Take care, dear.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor