Feeling disconnected from myself. How to avoid this feeling?

Posted on Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Mental Health
Question: Hi my name is XXXXXXX and for the past 2 years i'm disconnect from myself. Can you please give me advice how to get myself back again, Regards
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Thank you for writing in.
What you are suffering from sounds like Depersonalization disorder.
Depersonalization disorder (DPD) is a mental disorder in which the sufferer is affected by persistent or recurrent feelings of depersonalization and/or derealization.
Common descriptions of symptoms are: feeling disconnected from one's physicality; feeling as though one is not completely occupying the body; not feeling in control of one's speech or physical movements; feeling detached from one's own thoughts or emotions; a sense of automation, going through the motions of life but not experiencing it or participating in it; loss of conviction with one's identity; feeling a disconnection from one's body; inability to accept one's reflection as one's own; difficulty relating oneself to reality and the environment; feeling as though one is in a dream; and out-of-body experiences.
While many people experience brief moments of depersonalization, in others it may last much longer and can become a persistent problem.
Depersonalization disorder is thought to be largely caused by severe traumatic lifetime events including childhood abuse, accidents, war, torture, panic attacks and bad drug experiences. It is unclear whether genetics play a role; however, there are many neurochemical and hormonal changes in individuals suffering with depersonalization disorder.

Please consult a Psychiatrist at the earliest, as the disorder is amenable to medical treatment and counselling.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 35 hours later
Dear doctor, I could have told you also the same things what's wrong with me. For the past 2 years i'm seeing my doctor, who refer me to a Psychiatrist, who put me on Zoloft, and a Psychologist whom i have councelling sessions with. After 1 year, my Psychiatrist told me she can prescribe medication to me, but otherwise she can't understand why i stay disconnected 24/7 for the past 2 years and still continue. That's what i like to know,how to get back to normal, seems like nobody knows, regards XXXXXXX
Hi XXXXXXX
I am sorry you feel the way you do.
I hope you understand that my job is to go through what you told me, and to form a diagnosis , or a list of them, and suggest you the further action.
For Depersonalization Disorder, you need to consult a Psychiatrist, have counselling and medication as prescribed.
Without meeting you and talking to you and examining you, I cannot " cure " you.
Hope you understand that.If one doctor is not able to treat you, there is no problem in getting a second opinion.
Take care, dear.
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN