Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Feeling discomfort under rib cage after eating. Is it due to food allergy?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 1583 Questions
Hello, I have a feeling of discomfort under my left rib cage which goes around to the back and underneath my shoulder blade after eating. I also have a sore tongue which is red down the centre and feels like a burning sensation and also around my lips. Could this be a food allergy of some type and do you think the two symptoms are related. I have also lost weight even though my appetite is as good as its always been? Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Gastritis and Glositis. Detailed Answer: Hello, I my opinion the stomach and tongue symptoms may be interrelated. The probable cause may be Gastritis(Inflammation of the stomach) which causes regurgitation of the stomach acid which causes Glositis(Inflammation of the tongue). In this condition I would advice to take anti acid to neutralize the stomach acid which help in reducing the pain under the rib and redness of the tongue. Continue the vitamins. A gastroscopy will help in diagnosing the condition. If the diagnosis is confirmed as gastritis then proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole should be taken. Spicy and greasy food should be avoided. Weight loss is due to malabsorption of nutrients from the stomach and intestine due to inflammation. Continue multi vitamin supplement to XXXXXXX the requirement of micro nutrients. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor