Feeling discomfort and pain in testicle and penis shaft. What could be causing this?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Question: For the past 1 week I have had some minor discomfort, its hard to pinpoint at times it seems like it is more in my left testical and at times it feels like its above the left testicle to the left of the shaft of the penis in the notch where it feels like the scrotum is connected. There are no lumps that I can detect anywhere.
When I first get up in the mornings after sleeping there is hardly any discomfort present , but throughout the day it becomes slightly noticeable.
The feeling is hard to describe, at times its a dull ache. Mostly, it is the sort of feeling one experiences when one gets accidently hit in the testicular region and the initial pain has started to go away, but the uneasiness in the region remains.

What could the problem be?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 34 minutes later

Based on the fact that you have posted, it appears that you have what is called as Varicocele. However, final diagnosis can be confirmed only on clinical examination and tests like Ultrasound scanning of the Scrotum and Color Doppler study.

Please get these tests done and consult some Urologist with the reports to confirm the diagnosis. Further treatment will depend upon the grade of Varicocele.

In the meanwhile, take painkillers like Diclofenac twice daily. You can get the prescription of the drug from your family Physician.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. I shall be happy to address the same.

Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 21 hours later
1. What happens if this condition is left untreated?
2. Are there any treatment options available other than surgery?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 14 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

1) If left untreated it may progress further. Apart from pain, in 30% cases may affect spermatogenesis (your ability to produce sperms) in future.

2) You can observe it and use scrotal support to prevent dragging of the engorged spermatic veins that happens in standing position. If you get pain, you can take over the counter painkillers.

Hope that helps
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 2 days later
Thanks for replying.
The earliest appointment I could manage with a urologist is about one month from now. I have not noticed any increase in pain or discomfort in the past few days, hence I have not taken any painkillers for now.
Since it is possible I will not be treated for this condition for atleast one month from now, is there any specific advice you'd like to give?
I would be interested in knowing
1. if this condition would affect with my workout regime (I mostly do cardio exercises.)
2. is there any specific dietary requirements that I should be taking care of?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

There is no restrictions for doing your routine exercises however wear proper Scrotal support while doing exercise as intra abdominal pressure increases during exercise and may thereby increase the varicocele.

Varicocele is not being related to your diet, So there are no specific dietary instructions that I could give.

Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil.