Feeling discomfort and gas in stomach after abdominal massage. What's wrong?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Thanks. About 3 months ago, after strong massage to abdominal area to relieve gas, my upper gastric area started to make very loud, obtrusive noises, growlings, groanings and these came with a feeling of discomfort in that area...a feelling of gases and liquid...almost like being tapped hard with a hammer from the inside. There is no pain.

It starts in the morning after my daily bowel movement. It lasts nearly all day. It stops in the evening after I eat a full meal. It doesn't start up again until the next morning usually after b owel movement. Probiotics have not helped. I had a full stomach and small bowel flouroscopy study. All was normal.
could I have moved something out of place with my massage, and would the flouroscopy not show this if I had?
Probiotics do not seem to help. I am a teacher in a middle school and thenoises are so distracting that it interferes with my classes. don't know the next step?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptom usually appears with increased gas amount in the stomach. It is called aerophagia. This can be caused by stress or anxiety, chewing gum, smoking, drinking carbonate drinks, eating too fast, wearing loose dentures. It can be also a symptom of some stomach disease like acid reflux, peptic ulcer, stomach mucosa inflammation, Helicobacter Pylori infection or even stomach cancer. As you are loosing weight this needs to be diagnosed. Fluoroscopy is very sketchy test and nowadays seems an old one. What you should have performed is upper GI endoscopy. This test can rule out all mentioned stomach diseases and Helicobacter Pylori can be checked. So this is the next step.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 hours later
Thank you for such a detailed response. I will follow your suggestion. but is it possible that my vigorous abdominal massage dislodged some part of my small or large intestine. I know the intestines are held inplace by connective tissue that attaches to the inner wall of the peritoneum...at least, I think I know this. You did not answer that part of my question. I shall request the endoscopy and H pylorii breath test at once.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Hello!

I`m sorry not answering this part of your question. Only strong trauma (like kick or punch) of abdomen can cause such changes. To give such symptoms, diaphragm should be teared so the stomach or/and intestines could migrate to the chest cavity. But this would be clearly visible in the fluoroscopy. Small intestines trauma without moving it to the chest would give many other symptoms and none of them wouldnt be similar to described by you (the most common intestines and stomach trauma result is its perforation - this would be also visible in fluoroscopy). Moreover small intestine which is the most superficial layer of abdominal cavity parts, are freely movable (during the surgery it can be taken out from the abdominal cavity without any consequences and freely put back). So no massage can not dislodge it.
In conclusion, only strong trauma could cause stomach or intestinal changes giving such symptoms and if so, fluoroscopy would show it.

Regards.