Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Feeling discomfort above the rib cage after child birth, no pain. What are the reasons?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Hi, after I gave birth to my daughter, it felt as if something was out of place on my right side right above my rib cage. It was not painful but felt a bit weird. Over the course of 20 years the feeling that something was out of place came and went. However, over the last 6 months or so it has become worse. It is not painful to touch but feels uncomfortable. I especially feel it when I lay a certain way or bend. I have mentioned this to doctors in the past but no real steps have been taken to see what the problem is. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. Based on your symptoms, I have 2 possibilities in mind which need to be ruled out. These are:

1)     The first possibility is of costochondritis which is an inflammation of the joints in your chest. There is no specific test or investigation for costochondritis. The diagnosis can only be reached after excluding more serious causes of chest pain that are related to the heart and lungs.

It is completely curable and treatment involves conservative local care with careful use of non steroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Application of warm compresses may also help. If there is no relief even with medications, then steroid injections may be needed.

2)     Second possibility is of esophageal spasm which causes non cardiac chest pain. Manometry studies and an upper GI (Gastro Intestinal) endoscopy can confirm the diagnosis.
It will also help me in understanding your condition better if you could let me know if you have any additional history and symptoms of nausea, heart burns or difficulty in swallowing.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor