Feeling difficulty to walk, numbness and cold in leg. What is causing this?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, my wife has a cold leg to touch from the knee down in one leg. She is also having trouble walking on that leg. It used to come and go but is most of the time now? Also, two toes on the same leg feel numb.

Has also complained she is cold when everyone else is warm.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

The symptoms in your wife could be due to arterial limb ischaemia- lack of adequate blood flow in the affected limb. In this condition, the common symptoms include pain in the affected leg, the leg feels cold, difficulty in walking and numbness. This is more common in smokers and diabetics, but can also occur due to other reasons, in which blood can clot in the arteries.

The diagnosis can be made by an arterial Doppler ultrasound test.

Other reason could be a dysfunction of the leg nerves. Common symptoms include tingling and numbness of feet, along with feeling cold in the leg and weakness of muscles.

Please show her to the GP/vascular surgeon for evaluation.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Neurology)