Feeling difficulty to breath and tingling sensation all over body. Could it be due to anxiety?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: Got nauseous Thursday night- had what I believe was anxiety- felt like I couldn't breathe and a tingling sensation through my whole body- ended up throwing up- took a Xanax and went to bed. Woke up with an awful headache. Haven't felt right since- by back hurts and I keep getting the sensation and breathe taken away. I am worried that it may be my heart- it races when this happens-
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Yes, it can be an anxiety. But as you have also mentioned, it can be a heart problem (not very common at your age). Such symptoms can be also triggered by low blood sugar, ions deficiency (especially Magnesium and Potassium), thyroid disease.
It is also possible that nausea has triggered anxiety. According to your asthma history, you may also suffer from acid reflux disease which is very often associated with asthma. Reflux disease gives also chest burning and sometimes stomach pain. It can be aggravated by coffee, fruit juices and fatty foods.
It is advisable for you to have some diagnostics. It is advisable to perform heart ECG, full blood work, ions level, blood sugar level, thyroid tests. If reflux disease is possible, upper GI endoscopy should be performed.
You can also start magnesium 400mg a day supplementation, avoid coffee and fatty foods.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.