Feeling difficulty in opening mouth and swallowing. What cure should be done?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: im having hard time swallowing and opening mouth on right side and fells like im choking sometimes
my problems in swallowing is with saliva
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

It is very difficult to comment on your condition without having a look. Difficulty in opening may be due to sub mucous fibrosis (stiffness of mucus of mouth). It may be idiopathic, means without any reason or may be due to any addiction like chewing tobacco.

Difficulty in swallowing may be due to sub mucous fibrosis or upper esophageal sphincter spasm or any obstruction. It must be evaluated by a barium swallow study.

You must consult a board certified ENT surgeon and get thoroughly examined. When probable diagnoses are made, it would be easier to discuss. Then we can discuss appropriate investigations.

Hope I have answered your query; detailed history if possible is welcome in follow up questions.

Thanking you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan