Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

179 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Feeling difficulty in opening mouth and swallowing. What cure should be done?

Answered by
Dr. Ganesh Sanap


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 561 Questions

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: im having hard time swallowing and opening mouth on right side and fells like im choking sometimes
my problems in swallowing is with saliva
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

It is very difficult to comment on your condition without having a look. Difficulty in opening may be due to sub mucous fibrosis (stiffness of mucus of mouth). It may be idiopathic, means without any reason or may be due to any addiction like chewing tobacco.

Difficulty in swallowing may be due to sub mucous fibrosis or upper esophageal sphincter spasm or any obstruction. It must be evaluated by a barium swallow study.

You must consult a board certified ENT surgeon and get thoroughly examined. When probable diagnoses are made, it would be easier to discuss. Then we can discuss appropriate investigations.

Hope I have answered your query; detailed history if possible is welcome in follow up questions.

Thanking you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Esophageal dysphagia

doctor1 MD

I have a hiatal hernia. I have been going through tons of test.I had my 3rd meeting with the surgeon today.Now he wants to do one more test. A 24 hr. probe test. I had a motility test and upper GI but no acid reflux showed up. He says he can not do the surgery without the acid reflux showing up. I have terrible indigestion,heartburn and when I swallow it feel like I am swallowing a marble.I am miserable all the time

doctor1 MD

Constant chest pain that occasionally gets worse for a few seconds or minutes, labored breathing, numbness and tingling in left shoulder, lips and tongue, lightheaded, near fainting, difficulty swallowing ( painless), and a popping sensation at the right side base of my throat that is extremely uncomfortable

doctor1 MD

For the last month I've had crushing type pain in the center of my chest and then it radiates to the upper part of my back. It's excrutiating pain. I do not have any heartburn or bad taste in my mouth. I had an EKG, Blood work and a stress test and all came back fine so it's not my heart. Could this be Esophageal spasms? How would I know if I do?

doctor1 MD

I am a 50 year old male. Have suffered with acid reflux for a long time(years). I have difficulty swallowing. I seem to get food caught in my esophagus. I get pain DIRECTLY under my sternum. I have to force vomit (2 fingers) to prevent choking. Vomit is brown liquid with chunks. Sometimes I have difficulty breathing (seems like food is backed up and blocking my airway). I get a very bad taste in the back of my throat. I have never smoked and I do not do drugs. My diet is mostly meat, dairy,bread,pasta,soft drinks, some water. I do not drink alcohol.

doctor1 MD

I am getting the sensation that food is getting stuck//slowed down by a dull pain in my back. When trying to wash down with cold liquids I can feel the cold in that spot...eventually passes but feels restricted...

doctor1 MD

I am a 50 year old female, former heavy drinker. Have a pain sometimes when i swallow. Had barium swallow that came back normal. No swelling anywhere., but my joints starting from the base of the brain and muscles around are painful. I have a hard...

doctor1 MD

yes, thanks. I have many problems that mimic heart disease , how will I ever know if it is really a heart attack or just one of my other illnesses....I have esophegeal problems...spasms, and pain, swallowing problems etc....I also have asthma...