Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Feeling cold and reddish elongated area appeared on spine. Looking for treatment

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 300 Questions
my daughter 16 has a reddish elongated area about 2 1/2 long and ranging from 1/2 inch to 1" wideth that appeared on her spine (middle) it doesn't itch but she said if she sits back on it in a chair or so, it hurts. She has recently had the head cold chest cold
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Redness and tenderness are indicative of an inflammatory response. The common causes for this could be:
1) an allergic reaction - probably due to a skin irritant (e.g. something on her clothing or dust mites, etc.)
2) an insect bite
3) an inadvertent trauma to that area
4) certain viral infections can result in a post-infection rash (possible since she has recently has cold)
5) Rarely, this could mean a bleeding under the skin due to a low platelet count or a problem in the clotting mechanisms.

I would suggest the following:
- You can give her an anti-histamine / anti-allergy medication (benadryl syrup available over the counter should be the easiest option).
- You can also give her an anti-inflammatory medication - Tylenol or Advil, till the tenderness and redness subside.
- Apply an emollient solution or cream e.g. vaseline (don't use any other cosmetic or perfumed lotions or creams)
- Wait and Observe. In case, the red patch keeps persisiting or increases in size or if she develops other such patches or fever or any other complications, then seek urgent medical attention.

Hope this has been informative and helpful to you.
Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,  

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor