Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Feeling clogged ear. No pain and can hear. Suggested tear in ear. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10343 Questions
my ear is feeling clogged even after 7-8 days of getting slapped...there is no pain and am able to hear but not quietly like my other ear ..i visited a doctor already ..he says i have a tear in my ear drum and need an operation to fix it though it is not that critical ,but i need a second opinion what should i do ??
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
A small tear in the ear drum is the likely cause of pain and feeling clogged even after a week. If it is a small and partial tear then this should heal on its own and you can use an antibiotic ear drop to avoid any infection in the area.

If it is a full thickness tear then a surgical repair is recommended for an early recovery. This can be differentiated only by an ENT surgeon after a physical examination.
Meanwhile you can follow these suggestions:
1) Reduce caffeine and salt intake.
2) Avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol.
3) Avoid using objects to clean your ears. Use earplugs while bathing.
4) Take a a multivitamin supplementation once daily.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling clogged ear. No pain and can hear. Suggested tear in ear. What should I do? 11 hours later
how much time does it take for a small tear to heal..
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
A small or partial tear usually heals in 7-10 days. If the clogged feeling persists beyond that then a re evaluation by an ENT surgeon is recommended.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor