Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Feeling blockage in ear and hearing echo sound. How to cure this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2291 Questions
Dear Doctor,
I am asking this question on behalf of my husband.
He sometimes hear a tingling/echo sound when he listen to other person. It goes off after sometime and then everything is back to normal.
There is no pain, but a feel/sense his right ear is blocked by flem/sinus.He tried his hearing capabilities, both the ears are fine.

Please let me know the reasons and also how to cure this.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 10 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the history, I am of the opinion that your husband could be having Eustachian tube dysfunction.

The Eustachian tube is a passage that connects the middle ear to the back of the nose. Its chief function is to equalize the air pressure between the middle ear and the nose.

Eustachian tube dysfunction (ETD) occurs when the tube fails to function normally, such as during opening of the mouth, swallowing or yawning. This results in a mismatch of the air pressure between inside and outside of the middle ear causing discomfort in the ear and temporary hearing problems.

The feeling of fluid build up inside the middle ear, echoing, noise in the ear are noticed only when there is the blockage of the tube and once it gets relieved everything will become normal. Usually, this is not very troublesome so as to incapacitate an individual from performing the routine work. Seldom, it can cause hearing and pressure related problems.

I am sorry, there is no permanent cure for this problem as the actual cause of the dysfunction is not known. Eventhough, there are various theories postulated regarding the dysfunction, none of them have been confirmed yet.

Secondly, as this is a transient phenomenon, even the audiological investigations will not be able to pick up the signs of dysfunction.

I would suggest him to get an audiological investigation such as impedance matching done as soon as he gets this problem and to repeat the same when he is feeling normal. This can be the only way to confirm the diagnosis.

Finally, if he is having this problem very frequently, he can use a steroid nasal spray such as fluticasone or momentasone once a day, early in the morning, for few months. Steroid spray helps in decongestion of the mucosa around the Eustachian tube and relieves the block. Also, he should avoid smoking if he is doing so.

I hope this answer was beneficial to you. Revert back to me if you have any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor