Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Feeling bloated and fluttery feeling in chest. Took nsaid. What could be the disease?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I have had symptoms which I think are stomach ulcer since Xmas - had Omeprozole which worked at first but came back whenever I stopped, now don't really work. I feel bloated easily, burp a lot, have feeling that is akin to hunger whenever I have not just eaten. The worse thing is night time when I get fluttery feeling in my chest and banging heartbeat down a vein/nerve? from my sternum to my left hip - if you press you can feel really strong heartbeat here. I took NSAIDs on and off for over a year for back up so drs etc assumed stomach ulcer - am going for endoscopy tomorrow - have noticed increasing hard lump below sternum which is tender. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 47 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query. For your symptoms, two possibilities need to be ruled out. These include:

1)     The first possibility is of peptic ulcer disease or hiatal hernia. Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper GI endoscopy. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors.

2)     The second possibility is of any aortic aneurysm. Considering your age and symptoms the possibility of aortic aneurysm should be ruled out which is a weakened and bulging area in the aorta, the major blood vessel that feeds blood to the body. These often grow slowly and usually without symptoms, making them difficult to detect.

You need to consult a doctor and get chest x-ray, CT scan, echocardiogram and maybe a magnetic artery angiogram (if the above said tests are not normal).
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor