Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Feeling bloated. Took gassex and drank some soda. Colonoscopy and EEg done. Any thoughts?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
My husband feels very bloated and feels like he needs to burp, but cannot. He has taken GassEx and drank some club soda. He has had gastro issues for awhile. Colonoscopy & EEG in January. Feels really bad though now..
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know your other associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Does your husband has acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ gargling sound in abdomen/ abdominal bloating after taking meals/ constipation?
Does your husband has retrosternal burning pain causing difficulty in swallowing?
Is there family history of diabetes and thyroid disorders?
What medicine are you taking for control of blood pressure?

With the available described details, there appears to be possibility of dyspepsia with decreased gastrointestinal motility.
Dyspepsia is a collection of symptoms consisting of acidic belching, abdominal heaviness and bloating, gargling sound , excessive flatulence.
Dyspepsia could be due to bile reflux, and functional in nature.
Peptic ulcer disease could be due to Helicobacter pylori bacteria abd could manifest in form of nodular gastritis, follicular gastritis, erosive antritis, gastric and duodenal ulcer disease and in severe cases, may cause adenocarcinoma of stomach.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
He should also go for complete blood count, blood sugar fasting and postprandial, serum electrolytes,and thyroid profile.
He should also go for endoscopy along with biopsy.

He should also go for urea breathe test for H. Pylori.
If Urea breathe test is found to be positive then you have to take complete eradication therapy for H. Pylori bacteria.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, he should also take proton pump inhibitors along with prokinetics.

He should follow the mentioned changes:
1) Don't take tomatoes, and citrus fruits.
2) Avoid onion, garlic, excessive tea and coffee, chocolates,
3) Avoid oily and spicy food, non veg.
4) Take soft diet along with yogurt.
5) Keep difference of 3 hours between meals and sleep.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor