Owl Image

Feeling acidity, irregular heartbeat and chest pain after having spicy food. Any permanent remedy?

Owl Image
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Question
I'm having gastric problems for a long time now. Recently (3 months ago), I felt giddiness and restlessness and consulted a doctor. After many trials, i figured out through internet that the symptoms that i had related to gastritis (symptoms are; Chest pain, Frequent burping, restlessness, giddiness, irregular heartbeat, acidity occasional numbness in left hand). I was then treated by a gastroentrologist and took Endoscopy (results were normal) & later Ultrasound to check take pantacid, i feel bit normal.

Could you suggest me a permanent remedy please?
Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 51 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Every time the chest burning appears it is necessary to check the heart condition. Chest pain, restlessness, giddiness, irregular heartbeat and left hand numbness are very characteristic symptoms for ischeamic heart disease. Acidity can be only an addition symptom due to nervous system stimulation (heart ischeamia is a stress for whole body).
It is strongly advisable for you to have some diagnostics. You should start with heart ECG and ischeamic heart enzymes levels (CK-MB and Troponine). You should also visit a cardiologist for further investigation (heart ultrasound, stress test and if necessary coronarography). In some cases (if heart arrhythmia suspected) Holters 24 hours ECG should be done as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Feeling acidity, irregular heartbeat and chest pain after having spicy food. Any permanent remedy? 8 hours later
Thanks for your reply. I've taken ECG twice and both times it showed normal. Also, all of my symptoms that i said comes down after taking pantacid or if i don't eat any gastric items (like dhal, potato etc)

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 hours later
Hello!

I would insist that this might be due to heart disease. THere is no way for acid reflux to cause numbness in left hand and irregular heart beat.
Regular ECG can not visualise it, thet is why heart ultrasound and Holters 24 hours ECG can definitelly rule it out.
Of course your symptoms can be caused by gastric reflux disease. Usually all tests are negative with this condition (hope that Helicobacter Pylori test were performed with upper GI endoscopy).
If you are completelly certain that this is only GERD here are some rules witch can help with the symptoms:
- you should take Omeprasole 40 mg(or Pantoprasole 40 mg, however in some cases it is less efective than Omeprasole) once a day in the morning before any meal during the month or so
- avoid coffee, fatty foods, fruit juices, soft drinks
- drink more water
- do not bunk down after a meal
- the last meal should be 2 hours before sleeping

One more thing, GERD is very often associated with asthma. There for, you should have it checked as well with blow test.