Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Feeling a soft lump in my vagina. No discharge or no bleeding. Noticed a little burning in vagina. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12671 Questions
I just felt a soft lump in my vagina . No discharge or bleeding. More towards the rectum area. Moves when I touch it. I could have had it a long time . Don't know. No pain when I touch it.
No pain when I'm urinating. I feel a little burning in vaginal area but not really.
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a benign harmless swelling.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The causes for a small lump like you have noticed could be one of the following:-
1. Bartholin's Cyst - Bartholin's cyst is formed when a Bartholin's gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop. Bartholin's cyst is not an infection, although it can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment) to the Bartholin's ducts (tubes which lead from the glands to the vulva).

If infection sets in, the result is a Bartholin's abscess. If the infection is severe or repeated a surgical procedure known as marsupialization may be required to stop further recurrences.

2. Sebaceous cyst
3. lipoma- a benign swelling formed by a collection of fat cells.

Proper diagnosis requires a proper physical examination of the swelling in question. You might consult a gynaecologist who can examine and then decide on the appropriate treatment.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling a soft lump in my vagina. No discharge or no bleeding. Noticed a little burning in vagina. Suggest? 19 minutes later
The soft lump isn't that small. Maybe a finger nail size. Should I just keep an eye on it to see if it gets larger?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes. You can self monitor it.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
Yes you can self monitor the swelling for any change in size, pain or redness in the area which is suggestive of an infection. I that case you will have to consult a gynecologist for proper treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling a soft lump in my vagina. No discharge or no bleeding. Noticed a little burning in vagina. Suggest? 1 hour later
So I will keep an eye on is some kind of infection or the other things you suggested.....nothing serious??? Unless a serious infection that needs treatment.

So it's my vulva that's swollen, pain or burning.. Allergic to soap I use or something else? Don't even know its swollen unless I look.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing serious.

Detailed Answer:
It is not likely to be something serious. Sometimes such swellings might persist for years without showing any change.
This is not likely to be allergic in origin. A direct physical examination will help in the confirmation.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor