Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Feel uneasiness in mouth. Having burning sensation while taking food. Have pain in chest region. Guide?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
yesterday i felt some uneasiness in my mouth , and today morning my tong was feeling like, burned after a hot tea. feeling that the tong became thicker,even if it is not so. But allover the mouth it is being felt a roughness because of some pinpoint bumps.some of it can be clearly seen in the joint of lips with white tipped projections.edge of the tong and roof of the mouth have some burning sensation while taking food with chilly. me and my wife had the same symptoms in the same time and we both are suffering with it. she sometimes has a pain in the chest region and feel the tube if swallow something.

last year i had such a condition for some days and for the last 2 years i had joint pain with triglycerides and uric acid with high level. Now uric acid is under control but triglycerides was 273. also for the last 2 years i had a red coloration over the roof of the mouth towards throat, also the base of uvula (where there is arch ) have some small bumps with the same color of the area (it is being felt that some "quickfix" gum has been sprinkled in a symmetry fashion). kindly give me necessary advice.
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query,

There are a variety of causes for a number of common tongue symptoms. Fortunately, the majority of tongue problems are not serious and most can be resolved quickly. In some instances, though, a discolored or painful/sore tongue can indicate more serious conditions, including vitamin deficiencies, AIDS, or oral cancer. For this reason, it is important to seek medical advice if you have any ongoing problems with your tongue.
Both you are and your wife might be suffering from a geographical tongue which is a common condition caused by a viral or bacterial infection of the mouth.
Nodules on the surface of the tongue become inflamed as you fight off the infection, and you develop irregular red patches surrounded by white lines that give the tongue a map-like appearance. This can sometimes cause a burning sensation in the mouth and over-sensitivity. Eating acidic, spicy or hot foods can be particularly painful. Geographical tongue will eventually get better on its own after a few weeks or months. In the meantime, you may be able to manage the pain by taking over-the-counter painkillers (speak to your pharmacist for advice) and avoiding anything that makes it worse, such as certain foods or mouthwash. Another condition that is common and could be the cause is oral thrush (but I doubt very much that you may be suffering from that given your description). You might require antibiotics if this persist for more than weeks (the most likely cause is viral reason why both you and your wife are affected).
In any case, a quick visit to your doctor or a dentist could be of paramount help.
They might need to run some few tests to determine if you have any underlying diseases condition that may predispose to this such as HIV, diabetes etc.
As for your elevated triglycerides, you may eat low fat, low sugar diets, consume more vegetables and proteins. You can ask your doctor's opinion in regards to initiating a statin medication (such as atovastatin) to lower the triglyceride.

Hope this was helpful and please feel free to write back if you have any further questions.

Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor