Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Feel tensed and angry during periods. Has hypothyroid problem. Cause for such behavior and Remedy?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
My wife is 32 years and has regular menstrual cycle in every 24 - 26 days. For the past few months., (if not longer) I have noticed that few days before the cycle start and during the periods time, she is very tensed than usual and gets anger quite frequently than normal. Her thought process would be very negative and worrisome. Recently I have spoken to her about this observation and she also concurs with it. We would like to know what is the cause for this ? What could be the potential remedy ? Does this require further consulting of any specialist and/or further diagnosis / tests to be taken up ?

She has hypothyroid problem for the past 6+ yrs and is consuming Thyroxin 100 mcg daily morning. Not sure if this has got any relevance to the above highlighted problem. But I thought its worth mentioning...

Pls. advise.

Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The cause for these symptoms is premenstrual syndrome (PMS).

Your wife seems having features and symptoms of premenstrual syndrome.

It is common and 3 out of 4 women experience PMS symptoms during their childbearing age.

The exact cause for premenstrual syndrome is not know, but changes in brain hormone levels may play a role.

Usually there are no specific signs of examination or lab tests to diagnose this problem.

Typical history of her complaints and their association with the menstrual period will clinch the diagnosis.

I advise you or your wife to maintain a daily diary or log to record her symptoms, severity, duration, and relation to her menstrual period for at least 3 months.

The potential remedies are for problem are:

1.Ask her to take plenty of water and fruit juices.

2.Ask her to eat frequent, small meals.

3.Ask her to eat a balanced diet with extra whole grains, vegetables, and fruits.

4.Less salt in diet is advised. Avoid sugar.

5.Nutritional supplements like vitamin B6, calcium, and magnesium.

6.Ask her to do regular aerobic exercises through out the month.

This is not related to her thyroid problem.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feel tensed and angry during periods. Has hypothyroid problem. Cause for such behavior and Remedy? 13 hours later
Thank you Dr. for the detailed response.

My wife does not do many of the points you have listed. I have now shared your feedback with her. Hopefully she would follow your advise...

Thanks also for confirming that PMS has no connection with thyroid problem...

Apart from Aerobics., shall I take her for Yoga & Meditation classes/courses ? Would that also help ?
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 15 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

She can try the advised home remedies which are feasible for her.

Reducing stress by the following techniques will help her to become better.

1.Sleeping for plenty of time.

2.Practicing progressive muscle relaxation and deep breathing exercises.

3.Yoga and massage to relax and relives stress.

You can take her for Yoga and Meditation classes as these will relives her stress associated with premenstrual syndrome.

If she is not getting relief from these measures, or her symptoms causing disturbances in regular social and family functions, you can take her for gynecologist consultation.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

If you don't have any doubts, you can close the session and I request you to kindly review and rate my answer to improve myself in a better way.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor