Feel palpitation in food pipe. Had normal ECG. Having gas trouble. What does symptoms indicate?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, At times i feel some thing/palpitation (It could be gas or something else and the feeling stays for just seconds) in the food pipe.I would like to know if i should get it checked. Also, would like to bring to your notice that once i consulted a doctor( i think it was last year) and he named it palpitation. I was worried, so the doctor suggested me to go for ECG, (just for my satisfaction) i took the test and it was all ok. I have "gas in stomach trouble" and sometimes I feel the palpitation after having meals but i started taking notice of it during my wedding time. I think it also happens because of anxiety or stress Thanks, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. The symptoms you have might be due to gastroesophageal reflux with a probable hiatal hernia. Gastroesophageal reflux is a condition in which the stomach contents reflux in to the esophagus (food pipe). Hiatal hernia is a condition in which part of the stomach slips in to the chest cavity. An upper GI endoscopy may be done for confirmation. You may find good relief with antacid medications and dietary and lifestyle changes. You need to redce weight if obese. You need to avoid coffee, citrus, fatty food, spicy food. Avoid eating full stomach and go to bed 2-3 hours after food intake. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini