Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Feel like something is struck in stomach. Took chewable gas ex tablet. Should I be worried?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1038 Questions
Hello, I am a 45 years old woman, and quite healthy and active, however today I feel like I need to burp but can't. It now feels like I have something stuck in my upper stomach and a fist stuck in the middle of my back. I don't have nausea , nor do I feel sick, it's just a real discomfort when I take a deep breath. I also just checked my blood pressure and it is 110/80. I took a couple of chewable gas ex tablet but has not helped. Should I be worried?
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 4 hours later
Hello Vesna,
Thanks for the query

burping is the release of air from the stomach through the mouth and it is a common thing in our daily lives. While a majority of burping or the feeling of burping occur with no underlying problem, there are a few instances that it could be related to an underlying cause.
During eating or drinking, we do not only ingest the food or drink, we also ingest air. In the stomach, if such air is abundant, the result will be a feeling of bloated abdomen and burping. This is particularly common when carbonated drinks are taken or when one drinks with a straw or after heavy eating.

The feeling of burping is common in people with indigestion. Indigestion is likely to occur following a heavy meal made up of different dishes, going to bed immediately after eating and consumption of certain food types such as beans.

In some instances, the feeling of burping or burping is related to a peptic ulcer disease or gastritis. Peptic ulcer disease presents with pain above the umbilicus which radiates to the back, calm by certain food and provoke by certain food, hunger and drugs like ibuprofen.

Your blood pressure is perfect and you should not border yourself. the feeling will pass but if you do not have peptic ulcer disease which will require further care, you could take bicarbonate (dissolve in a glass of water) to improve on your symptom.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to help.
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor