Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Feel like metal stuck in throat, discomfort. Would it cause permanent damage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 520 Questions
I think I may have a small piece of metal stuck in my throat. I've tried eating and drinking to force it down. I tried forcing it up but it won't come out. Should I go to the hospital or wait to see if it works it's way down? It doesn't's just an annoying feeling. And I want to be sure it's not an issue that would cause any kind of permanent damage?! PLEASE help!!
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 15 minutes later
Thanks for your query.
The best way forward is to visit a hospital and see an ENT specialist on a priority basis. He/she will most probably advise for a laryngoscopy to rule out any actual obstruction. Please visit an ENT and then revert back. I do not think any home treatment will help.
For me to understand your condition better, please answer the following questions:
1. For how long have you been having this problem?
2. Do you always feel that there something in your throat and feel like coughing it out?

My guess is that you may be suffering from a condition known as Globus Hystericus. In this problem you just have a very annoying feeling of having something stuck in your throat. You do not experience any major problems in eating or drinking.
I hope I have answered your question. Please accept my answer if you have no further questions. Feel free to ask any further questions if you have.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feel like metal stuck in throat, discomfort. Would it cause permanent damage? 36 minutes later
I don't actually have an ENT or even a PCP. So the only form of treatment that I can seek is going to the emergency room. But I really don't want to feel dumb walking in there and saying "I think I have something in my throat?"

I'm not having an issues with eating or drinking. I did just try to throw up again and nothing metal came up, just food.

When I swallow like normal without water, that's when I feel it. But when I swallow with water, I'm fine and can't feel it.

I do have anxiety issues, so therefore I'm very worried. I was chewing on a pop tab (I know...very stupid!!) And I thought I felt that a very tiny piece of metal came off and got stuck in my throat. And by tiny, I mean hairline. I've only been having this problem for maybe 6 hours, since chewing on the pop tab.

I took my anti anxiety medication, took a nap, woke up and the feeling was still there.

I don't always feel like something is stuck in my throat. Actually, I never do. I just feel that way now from chewing on the pop tab. But I don't know for sure that anything even came off of it and is stuck in my throat. It just feels like it. But like I said, I tried throwing it up. Once before eating, and it still felt like something was stuck in the throat. And then tried throwing up again after eating, no metal came out...and still have the feeling that something very tiny may be stuck in the throat.

Do you think it's worth going to the ER for?

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 9 minutes later
Thanks for your response.

I am pretty sure that this is just a feeling and nothing actually is in there. But, it does not make sense taking a chance with your airway.

So it is best to see a doctor personally. Going to the ER is not a bad idea at all.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feel like metal stuck in throat, discomfort. Would it cause permanent damage? 10 minutes later
If I do go to the ER, what will they do? I'm uninsured so I'm just curious what the standard procedure is. Would this require an X-RAY of the throat? Or would the doctor want to stick the scope down my throat?
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 2 hours later
Thanks for reverting.

In the ER, getting an X XXXXXXX would be the first and probably the only thing they would be doing.
If they have a doubt, they may considering referring you to a specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor