Fatigued and have tachycardia, low iron stores in the body. Is this sickle cell anemia ?
Sickle cell anemia manifests early in childhood. The presenting symptoms involve pain and anemia. Although in case of Sicklecell trait, the person remains asymptomatic, with Haemoglobin on lesser side than the normal. Anaemia worsens during infections or after vigorous work outs.
If you are sickle celled, you would have manifested the above symptoms multiple times given your vast medical history, your doctor would have easily identified and investigated. Hence I do not think of a possibility of Sickle cell anemia.
You have said that your Iron stores have doubled to 39 and saturation depleted to 11% after an asymptomatic UTI. The Iron stores and saturation levels have returned to normal without any treatment. It is good but to my knowledge the treatment you taken over 2 months have not known to do such miracle.
Let me answer your symptoms, fatigue and tachycardia, they can be explained the following ways given your history:
1) Anemia of any reason ( Iron deficiency, Sickle Cell etc)
2) Medications that you take
3) Nutritional Deficiency ( can correlate with low Iron intake, Folic acid and Vitamin B1)
4) Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Fibromyalgia
Two times retinal detachment can give us some clues if you can elaborate what is your Retina specialist opinion.
I would suggest you to get Anemia profile, Hb Electrophorosis done and let me know the result, we will be able to narrow down the causes further.
I will be available for your follow up questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Malaria and sickle cell anemia
- Sickle cell anemia and seizures
- Cures for sickle cell anemia
- Effects of sickle cell anemia
- Sickle cell anemia treatment
- Is sickle cell anemia contagious
- Sickle cell anemia symptoms
- Causes sickle cell anemia
- Sickle cell anemia and pregnancy
- Doxycycline and sickle cell anemia
- Suggest treatment for numbness in the thumb
- Stool with ridges, have large external hemorrhoids, symptoms of IBS....
- What steps can i take to avoid nervousness? All test results are ok
- Low ferritin level. Had swelling in foot, ankle & lower leg, swollen...
- No popping sound while yawning. Have nausea. Hard wax in eustachian...
- Undergoing IUI, took ovidrel shot. How one determines the size &...
- Irregular periods. Taken clomid. Chances of getting pregnant?
- Have bowed legs. Pain in the leg and ankle. Concerned about pain getting...
- Had stent procedures. Is it safe to take alcohol?
- Had short duration of period than usual with heavy flow. Had unprotected...