Fatigue, headache, hypoglycemia. Undergone cortisol stimulation test. Help me reading the test report
I would like help understanding my labs. I have been very fatigued with headaches and lightheadedness. I also experience hypoglycemia. My B/P can get very low. I had a Cortisol Stimulation test ordered by a hematologist. During that particular test, they forgot to take my ACTH level but my b/p before the test was 84/42 and cortisol was 9.1. After the injection the cortisol went to 23.1 and my b/p went to a normal range. I also felt great for a few hours. The Dr. called me back in to get the ACTH (that was forgotten) another morning. That particular test showed that my ACTH was 8.0 and my cortisol was 3.7. Please help me understand these low normals and if it could be causing my fatigue, h/a's and low b/p. Side note: My b/p can be within a normal range, but I still feel horrible so I don't think the low b/p is the only reason for feeling sick. Also, I'm not a runner which I know can contribute to lower b/p.
Thanks for writing in.You have undergone synacthen stimulation test because your BP & basal cortisol were low. Cortisol value > 21after syncthen stimulation is normal. But it doesnot rule out recent onset central hypocortisolism. Your ACTH is also low for the cortisol value. This too suggests a possible central hypocortisolism. A short course of coticosteroid replacement is worth trying to see improvement in symptoms and BP. Hypocortisolism can cause both lethargy and low BP so at this juncture we can assume that these are due to low cortisol. I suggest you see an endocrinologist in person & discuss the treatment options. Im sure he would evaluate and get some more tests including MRI sella and be in a better position to help you with this problem.
So in nutshell you do have low cortisol but with normal syn stim test.corticosteroid replacement
is worth considering after complete evaluation.
Hope this helps
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Bruising on legs fatigue headache
- Fatigue headache giddy breathless
- Dizzy fatigued headache bloated
- Fatigue headache light headed but pregnancy test is negative
- Fatigue headache and unexplained bruising
- Arterial blockage fatigue headache
- Nausea fatigue headache cramps
- Black stool fatigue headache
- Redness in cheeks fatigue headaches
- Symptoms nausea fatigue headache
- Have tumor on pituitary gland. Looking alternate medicine for bromocriptine
- Have micro penis with stretched penile length. Any hormonal remedy?
- Started gaining weight and have swelling on face with normal TSH level....
- Taking neomarcozole for graves disease. Itchy rashes appeared. How long...
- Suggest some medicine to gain weight
- Taking medicine for hypothyroid. Not getting relief. Blood test done....
- Have swollen eye with different throat structure and feeling tired....
- Depressed, started sweating with rapid heart rate. Taking zanax. Found...
- Started byetta for nausea. Started experiencing altered taste. Common...
- Took botox injection for migraines and started having hair loss. Could...