Fat on tummy. Taken medari tablets and syrup. Advise on weight loss methods and treatment?

Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: How to reduce fats from tummy and overall weight. Currently my wife is taking Medari tablets and syrup twice a day. Kidnly advise on a proven weight loss medication / execrcise. Weather to continue with Medari or to change it with alternative medicine ?
Does really the medicines reduce the weight alone ?
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul 36 hours later
Hi
Thanks for writing in.
As I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a.     What was her weight and mental state before marriage?
b.     Is there any family history of obesity?
There are several things in her case which could have contributed to her weight gain. This includes the anti-depressants she is currently receiving, the oral contraceptive pills, faulty eating habits and lack of exercise. The oral contraceptive pills could also be contributing to the mood changes. In fact, it becomes a vicious cycle when the person does not exercise due to depression and this further increases her obesity.
I would suggest the following:
a.     Talk to her treating physician about changing the contraceptive method
b.     For the depression, I would suggest that she should always have company. She should feel loved and cared for. Do not criticize her and everyone she meets should be extremely kind. Morning walk, meditation and yoga help. Shiro dhara is a procedure in which medicated oils are dropped on fore head is good. You can also opt for ayurvedic brain tonics which relieve depression. Cap. Streswin is good.
c.     For weight reduction, I would first recommend that the cause which could include hormonal imbalance, thyroid involvement, sedentary nature, side effect of allopathic medicines be treated
d.     If weight gain is idiopathic ( which means no such cause can be identified) then the results with medhoari can be expected but this alone is not going to render results in toto. This has got to be supplemented with dietary modification and an exercise regimen. I usually recommend only meals and nothing but meals, no sweets no cold drinks etc. Have meals at proper time and no consumption of stale food. Keep bowels clear. In addition to this medicine, also add trifla guggul.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli