Fasting sugar is 136. Should I take the sugar test after meal?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: I had gone to test for sugar (Fasting) and result was 136 what to do to control. No medicine as of now what to do ? Whether I should go for testing sugar after meal.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Suggestive of diabetes... Detailed Answer: Hi. As per the current guidelines, your sugar value is suggestive that you suffer from diabetes. The current cut of limit for fasting blood sugar is 126 mg/dl. You will need to repeat the fasting blood sugar along with post prandial blood sugar and glycosylated hemoglobin value. I would also get an ECG, serum creatinine and eye check up done in this circumstance. You need to be started on a suitable hypoglycemic agent which can be decided after repeat testing. I recommend you to visit diabetologist nearby with blood results and plan diabetes treatment at the earliest. In the mean time, avoid high calorie diet. Add fibre rich diet. Start exercises. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.