Fast heart beat with numb hand. Does energy drinks cause heart problem?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi,I am 42 female, it's couple of weeks my heart is speeding up, mostly when I go to bed at night it really scares me. It comes with left hand numbness occasionally (if I get mad over something it happen immediately), also I hear a fizzing sound in my heart. Now that I'm laying on my back I even happen to have short second of pain on my back exactly at my heart level.
Apparently the more I listen to that I feel all the symptoms stronger. I don't smoke at all n am a social drinker. I get stressed or anxious during the day at work once a while, but I need to be sure if it's stress or heart disease ? Also , it doesn't change when I drink alcohol. I don't drink much n occasionally it will be 2 glass of wine ut most.
Please help me with my fear, as I have heart problem in family both side!
I forgot to say I have a healthy diet, 114 lbs and 5,2" hight.
I'm a coffee drinker every morning, but that's for ages n I never had problem with that .
We have genetically high cholesterol but it has not been a problem for me, either.
I had a cold like a month ago, was taking Tylenol syrup, my heart problem happened mostly after that constantly.

A question;Do you thing Energy drinks cause heart problem?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Let me start off by providing you with some reassurance that I think this is all a manifestation of anxiety.
Your symptoms getting aggravated on listening to them all seem to add up to support this. Heart problem is usually associated with difficulty in breathing and the symptoms do get aggravated on doing some work and not while resting.
Energy drinks usually do not cause any problem but if the drink has caffeine in it, it can aggravate the symptoms of anxiety.
To help this problem you can take a few measures-
1.Check your caffeine intake-Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola.
2.Avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking.
3.Try physical exercise like aerobic exercises daily for twenty minutes.
4.Avoid your worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends.
5. Learn controlled breathing.
6. Do simple relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, etc.
You can also discuss the problem with your GP who will help you in choosing a good antianxiety drug with low day time sedation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 days later
Thank you so much. I started the old Paxil for 3 nights, my heart speeding is going away!!! but I still have my left arm numbness, also my fingers when I'm sleeping!!!
Also usually during the day a big pulse happens that cause me a short cough!!!
Could it be important?!
Once again thanks for your time and reply.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The numbness in the arm and fingers is likely to be related to supplements will be helpful.
A short bout of cough may be allergic and is likely to improve on taking lozenges.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.