Family history of heart disease. Feeling fatigue and throbbing pain in heart. Any thoughts?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Good Afternoon,
I am 39 yo with strong family hx of heart dz. last 3 weeks having throbbing pain in my heart. Some fatigue, SOB going up stairs mostly. Throbbing not persistent. Some pain in upper back when throbbing occurs. 65 inches and 184 lbs. Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

Thank you for posting on XXXXXXX
From your description you are most likely suffering from coronary artery diseases (more specifically stable angina pectoris). Angina is a type of chest discomfort caused by poor blood flow through the blood vessels (coronary vessels) of the heart muscle (myocardium). Unstable angina is far more serious condition that stable angina and usually can lead to a heart attack.
There are many risk factors for coronary heart disease. Some include:
-Diabetes
- High blood pressure
- High LDL cholesterol and low HDL cholesterol
- Smoking
Anything that makes the heart muscle need more oxygen can cause an angina attack in someone with heart disease, including:
- Cold weather
- Exercise
- Emotional stress
- Large meals

Other causes of angina include:
- Abnormal heart rhythms (usually ones that cause your heart to beat quickly)
- Anemia
- Coronary artery spasm (also called Prinzmetal's angina)
- Heart failure
- Heart valve disease
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
- Hypertension
Not sure which drug you are using for chemo that can lead to diseases which predispose to angina pectoris.
What to do now? You have to consult a cardiologist who can do a proper cardiovascular examination + risk assessments and probably place you on prophylatic treatments against future anginal attacks.

Hope this helps and write back if you have any other questions

Dr Nsah