Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Failure to maintain erection, menopausal wife has no sexual desire

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 127 Questions
I am a mna 74 years old and still have sexual desires. However I cannot get a full erection because of medication and age. However my wife, 70, who has had a hysterectomy (sp) and is post menaposial (sp) had no desire for sex at all. I am not sure if there is any hope. But it does persent a problem.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 41 hours later
Thanks for the query.

The failure to maintain erection may be due to :

1. Old age

2. Medications like Atenolol and Fluoxetine can reduce libido as well as erection.

3. Smoking / Alcoholosm if present can also decrease the quality of erection.

After menopause, usually the libido decreases in females due to decreased hormones as well as dryness in the vagina.

The libido can be increased in post menopausal woman by Good Reproductive & Sexual Health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Failure to maintain erection, menopausal wife has no sexual desire 7 hours later
The femail members of my wife's family all had cancer. Therefore we resoled not to continue with HRT for that reason. I am not sure what lubricants to use or how to use them. In addition, should she have her test. level tested and if low are there any safe and healthy ways to increase it? I suffer rom heart problems and depression and therefore cannot change my meds. Since I cannot penetrate her, do you think os would be an option?
Answered by Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 21 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

You can use water based lubricants like K-Y Jelly.

You can apply inside your wife's vagina as well as your penis before insertion.

You can request your physician to change to other antihypertensives which does not alter the libido.

Tadalafil can be used for erectile dysfunction but under guidance of your physician as it can cause hypotension in cardiac patients.

You can consider the other ways of enjoying sex also. Indulge in more of foreplay that will satisfy you.

Hope I have answered all your queries.

Wish you a healthy sexual life.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor