Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Facing trouble in controlling blood pressure with the renal failure. Taking physiotens. Any solution?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 439 Questions
I am having trouble controling my blood pressure i have a gfr of 10 so my kidneys are also not good i have had a fistula put in for future kidney dylasis i am currently taking 200m physiotens morning and night also half of hygroton 25 morning only i was on twynsta 40/5 but they did not seem to control it what in your opinion is the best drug to take in my case Regards XXXXXX
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 2 hours later

Thanks for asking.

Controlling the blood pressure with the renal failure is a difficult situation as most of drugs can not be given in high dosages.

You are on moxonidine and the fluid tablet, if these are not controlling the blood pressure, you should look at calcium channel blockers.

As you were given Amlodipine in only 5 mg dose before (in twynsta), you should talk to your doctor to prescribe amlodipine or some other drug from the same class,these drugs can be given in relatively high dose ( up to 20 mg ) or even more and they do not have much problem with the poor kidney function.

Second choice can be alpha one blockers, like prazosin or the other centrally acting medications like clonidine.

Hope it helps.

I am happy to take any follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor