Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Facing severe hair loss problem. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 345 Questions
Hi, I am XXXXXX and my age is 26.
My concern is about my Hair and Scalp.
In my teens I was having thick long straight hairs, but 3-4 years back the scalp is visible (due to thinning hair) which is very embrassing many times.
Can I what would be the reason, all my maternal and paternal side are having thick hair.
Do suggest what needs to done.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 15 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern. 

Its indeed distressing to have thinning of hair. We refer to thinning and consequent loss of hair as alopecia

Alopecia is of various kinds. The kind of alopecia you have depends on what of the scalp is the thinning more.

If the thinning is more on the central part of the scalp, i.e there is widening of the parting, its called female pattern alopecia. It happens due to an imbalance in the hormones. You will need to consult an endocrinologist for the same.
If there is generalized thinning, it could be due to telogen effluvium. This follows a period of stress or illness. The treatment for this would be intake of multivitamins, iron and biotin. Thus will enhance hair growth. Telogen effluvium is self limiting and the hair starts growing again in three months.

Hope my recommendations are helpful to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Facing severe hair loss problem. What to do? 3 hours later
Yea..Thanks a Lot XXXXXXX

Can I get in touch with you.?? Else where/ what all should I get tested for??
Please do suggest.

Answered by Dr. Kruti 8 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

I consult in Mumbai. You can come for consultation if that’s feasible for you.

If that’s not possible then I would recommend that you consult a competent dermatologist nearby, the treatment of alopecia would require you to be under constant supervision of your doctor.

Depending on the type of alopecia and the requirement for tests, your doctor can guide you in an appropriate manner.

As I mentioned, the treatment would differ in different types of alopecia.

Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor